The Autumn Reading List
Fall is sneaking up on us! Get ready for cozy blankets, hot apple cider and falling leaves. With days turning darker and adverse weather ahead, I'm sure we can expect to spend even more time at home. Here's the list of books I'm eyeing to stock up on in preparation.
1. Wise as F*ck: Simple Truths to Guide You Through the Sh*tstorms of Life is the latest from one of my faves, Gary John Bishop. His Scottish brogue belies an irreverent, no-holds-barred, cold truth philosophy that throws a bucket of ice water over your head: harsh and bracing, yet deeply cleansing and healing. The book's out now.
2. Hot off the press, Real Change: Mindfulness to Heal Ourselves and the World is THE book for this era. Sharon Salzberg is a mindfulness and meditation legend. Alongside Jack Kornfield and Joseph Goldstein, Salzberg established the Insight Meditation Society and later with Goldstein, the Barre Center for Buddhist studies in Massachusetts. This is her latest book of many.
3. First-time author, former monk turned motivational speaker and podcaster Jay Shetty released Think Like A Monk: Train Your Mind for Peace and Purpose Every Day. According to Shetty's bio, the book "distills monk wisdom into practical, everyday steps anyone can take to live a less anxious, more meaningful life." Count me in. You can buy the book here.
4. Published this time last year, Marie Forleo's Everything is Figureoutable is empire-builder Forleo's latest. Marie is an entrepreneurial powerhouse, with an optimism rivaling the sun. TV, books, podcasts, speaking gigs, business training and the list goes on are all in Forleo's repertoire. Her expertise has vaulted many wellness entrepreneurs into the stratosphere, including Gabby Bernstein.
5. Audio Bonus! Speaking of Gabby, one of the first guides on my spiritual journey whose online program basically changed my life (no joke), she just came out with her first Audible Original, You Are the Guru: 6 Messages to Move You Through Difficult Times with Certainty and Faith. If you don't have Audible, you can sign up for a 30-day trial and listen to the book free. Gabby is a spiritual teacher whose work is rooted in the tome, A Course In Miracles.
6. Spring Bonus! With her huge following growing by the day, Dr. Nicole LePera, aka The Holistic Psychologist has already turned her first book into a bestseller. How to Do the Work: Recognize Your Patterns, Heal from Your Past, and Create Your Self is a hot ticket. Cornell University-trained, LePera combines traditional psychological training with mind/body connection principles. Order your copy here.